What the Chamber Does
The Nanaimo Chamber has served the local business community since 1889. We feel very confident that we have gone beyond most Chamber’s mandates by becoming involved in projects that provide significant holistic value to our community.
The Chamber collaborates with organizations such as Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo Port Authority, Nanaimo Airport, Nanaimo Hospitality Association, Tourism Nanaimo, Community Futures, Innovation Island, and the Nanaimo Prosperity Corporation to accomplish its many goals in community building and network development. The Chamber has partnered with Futurepreneur Canada, Small Business BC, BIABC, British Columbia Restaurant & Food Services Association, and Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters Association and is a member of the BC Chamber of Commerce and Canadian Chamber of Commerce.
The Nanaimo Chamber plays a vital role in advocating with each level of government to seek support on policy issues most favourable to our community and provides a forum for developing and organizing those efforts. It is one of the most important roles your Chamber plays – fighting for the success of our business community through government advocacy.
The Chamber’s Community Work
Chamber CEO Kim Smythe represents the Nanaimo Chamber in a number of organizations connecting the community, raising social awareness, and driving local economic prosperity. Below are some of the boards and committees Kim currently volunteers on:
- Downtown Nanaimo Business Association, Chair
- Nanaimo Prosperity Corporation, Shareholder & Director
- Tourism Nanaimo, Director
- Airport Commission, Entity
- Nanaimo Homeless Coalition, Member
- BC Chamber Executives, Past President
- BC Chamber, Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Member
- Canadian Chamber Executives (BCCE Appointee)
- Canadian Chamber Mid-Cities Peer Network, Member
- Mayor’s Leader’s Table